Welcome to Friends Of Little Kingshill School – Our Parent Teacher Association!
What is FOLKS all about ?
Our goal is to:
* Create a positive and inclusive school community spirit
* Extend support in organising fundraising events which help to enhance our children’s education opportunities
* Enable a set of social events that are, above all, fun and enjoyable for the children, parents and wider community
The PTA is much more than just fundraising – it exists to provide closer links between home and school and is an excellent way to bring staff, parents and friends together through social occasions to support the school. Above all, we would love to ensure that everyone involved in each event has a great time !
FOLKS work closely with Little Kingshill Combined School, the School Council (children), the Parents and the Governors in order to capture the ‘wishlist’ of activities, projects or equipment they would like money to be put towards. In the main, the PTA funds are for the ‘extras’ not provided by the school budget, that make the learning experiences of the children across the whole school more fulfilling and exciting.
Throughout the academic year, FOLKS arrange a variety of events to help raise money, all of which rely on the generous support of parents / carers getting involved. We aim to run a variety of events which include something for parents / carers as well as the children. The events usually include a Christmas Fayre, Summer Fete, Children’s Discos, Golf Day, Easter Bunny, Curry and Quiz Night and a Summer event such as a Hog Roast or BBQ. We look forward to you joining us for these events and always welcome input of new ideas on current and future events.
Over and above the events we run, FOLKS are also able to apply for grants from local charitable organisations that are appropriate and fit the purpose applied for. These do take time to complete as specific information is required for the applications, but enable us to support projects that may otherwise be unachievable through the normal course of funds raised.
How to contact us: Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LittleKingshillCombinedSchool
Or Twitter: @FOLKS_PTA
Get in touch on Email: email@example.com
Or drop a Note: in the red FOLKS box situated in the school reception, hanging just inside the door on the left hand side. This is often used for slip returns and payments, as well as any notes or suggestions to the FOLKS committee.
Our FOLKS committee consists of three key officer roles – Chair, Treasurer and Secretary. In addition, we may have additional committee members who act as Deputy Chair and Deputy Treasurer. The Committee interact with many groups across the School, Governor and Parent networks, ensuring we capture and can discuss all ideas and feedback put forward. We also work closely with the Class Reps, extended committee members and volunteers who are happy to help.
Our Annual General Meeting (AGM) is held towards the beginning of the Autumn term, and, is an opportunity for all parents to come along and hear in more detail about events run and funds raised, as well as how the money has been spent. It is also the occasion when we elect the new Committee for the forthcoming academic year. However, we really do consider everyone involved
with the school to be a part of our team so if you have a specific talent or are interested in joining the Committee meetings, we would love to hear from you.
There is a Committee meeting held every half term where everyone is welcome to attend and get involved. Smaller working groups then meet as necessary separately to this to organise key events. Year groups are assigned to these key events to help support and drive the events along with support from the Committee.
The smooth-running of events really does depend on having plenty of other people willing to offer a little time to come and help. It doesn’t matter if you cannot help on a regular basis, or even if you cannot come into school. There are always little jobs that can be done from home if you have half an hour to spare (e.g. preparing raffle tickets, helping on newsletters, wrapping gifts). We really cannot achieve what we do without the help that exists in school so please get in touch and let us know if you can get involved and all help is invaluable to us.
More information on the current FOLKS committee members can be found here.
We produce regular newsletters to keep you updated with what is coming up but also have a calendar of events for the year.
More information on our FOLKS events can be found here.
If you have any good ideas for fund-raising, we would love to hear about them and enjoy hearing your views on the events that are run and how these all important funds are spent. We are always looking for sponsors for events or donors of raffle prizes, so if you work for a local business (or own one) that might be interested in supporting the community and receiving advertising in this way, please let us know.
Other ways to raise money:
There are many ways in which you can support FOLKS. In addition to fundraising events, the following opportunities are available throughout the school year so please check them out and sign up to them if you can!
* You can make your online purchases through easyfundraising – there are a huge range of retailers, it really is easy & there is no cost! You still shop directly with each retailer as you would normally, but simply by using the links each purchase you make will generate a donation to FOLKS at no cost to you. There is a handy toolbar which can be downloaded to your PC and an App for your Smartphone to remind you each time you visit a supporting retailer. Retailers that can earn FOLKS commission include Amazon, eBay, Clarks, Boots, Sainsburys, John Lewis, Tesco, Waitrose and many, many more. Check out the link below! https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/folks/
* Pop any unwanted clothes, bedding, curtains, linen, shoes, belts or handbags in the blue textile bank located on the right-hand side just as you enter the school premises near the staff car park. The weight of donations correlates to a commission payment to the school and again costs you nothing! See textile bank information here.
* Order your name labels for bottles, school bags, clothes, etc through either Stikins (www.stikins.co.uk) or through Stamptastic (www.stamptastic.co.uk) in order to earn a commission payment to FOLKS. See the separate links at the bottom of the FOLKS web-page for more detail on the websites and the codes you need to use when you order online so they can link your order to the school.
* Second Hand Uniform is available for purchase from FOLKS – generous donations of clothes are given to the school by parents so we have a collection of pre-loved uniform available at a reduced cost. Contact FOLKS on their email in order to request an item or look out for the second hand uniform sales which take place through the year.
We hope you enjoy your association.